Epoxy surface coatings protect surfaces, reinforce materials, and protect them from corrosion and decay, making them one of the most extensively used industrial finishes. While epoxy coatings may appear to be more expensive at first than other types of surface coating materials, their ability to provide superior and long-lasting corrosion resistance, flexibility and adhesion to a variety of surfaces ultimately make them a more cost-effective option, as the need to reapply the coating may be less frequent when materials are properly prepared. If you want to learn more about epoxy coating, read on to find out.
What is the Epoxy Coating?
Epoxy coatings are made up of two components: epoxy resin and polyamine hardener (also known as a catalyst). When the resin and hardener are mixed, a chemical reaction occurs, resulting in cross-linking of the elements as they cure. When the epoxy coating has fully set, the outcome is a tough, stiff plastic coating with a variety of mechanical properties. Polyurea is way stronger than epoxy and see why below.
How Does It Work?
Epoxy is a thermosetting material. That is, it cures in response to the temperature of the environment. Epoxy cannot be uncured once it has been cured. Epoxy is an epoxide, which means it reacts with other compounds more readily. Epoxy is a polyepoxide composed of an unreacted epoxide. This indicates that pure epoxy is particularly vulnerable to chemical reactions. In the case of epoxy, the other ingredient is a hardening or curing agent, which helps it cure into a highly strong glue.
Epoxies can be made by mixing an epoxy resin with a hardener or merely reacting to the resins themselves. The great majority of epoxy resins are industrial products that are generated from petroleum and produced by an epoxide reactive process. Cure epoxy resins can be like honey or something considerably more viscous, depending on the type of reaction that was utilized to make them. The applications that you can get out of them are determined by their molecular weight.
Advantages of Polyurea Coating Over Epoxy
- It is cost-effective: Polyurea coatings may be applied directly to your existing flooring, saving you time and money on removal.
- Long-lasting: the Polyurea coating is tough and long-lasting. Also, it can withstand a lot of traffic. Nevertheless, it takes a long time to apply.
- Great resistance: Polyurea is a hard-wearing flooring option. It can withstand high levels of stress, heat, chemicals, and water. It’s perfect for garages with corrosive chemicals from autos.
- Protection: the Polyurea coating is what you need to protect your floors from cracking, staining and wear and tear.
- Easy to maintain: Polyurea coating is dust-resistant and requires little maintenance. Polyurea helps to keep dust from settling and circulating by forming a coating. It also makes a smooth, level, and easy-to-clean surface.
We Use Polyurea & Here’s Why?
Low-grade quick fixes will not provide you with the long-lasting, high-quality solutions you require. Revival Concrete Coatings offers coating services that outperform the competition in the market. We offer the best concrete coating products and processes. Our expert staff will ensure that your project is done on schedule and to perfection. Contact us to get a free quote today!