Epoxy floor coatings are not new in the building and construction industry. It is one of the most popular methods for protecting concrete floors or adding customized designs right to your surfaces. Besides, epoxy waterproofing is now popular on damp surfaces or areas where water leakage could be a concern.
Apart from being incredibly beautiful, epoxy resins come with many advantages. They come in handy as great fillers or sealants and have immense adhesive properties. Also, their waterproofing capability is worth mentioning.
For general epoxy coatings, the two most popular types of epoxy often used are polyuria and polyaspartic epoxy coatings. They are damage resistant and will replenish and restore surfaces for years. They are also nonslip, damage-resistant, have low maintenance costs, and have an incredible appeal.
The two epoxy types are what you would find appropriate for your garage, floor, and other surfaces. They come in various finishing and designs, including pecan, pebble beach, smoke, cordwood, and beige finishes.
What is Epoxy Water Proofing?
Epoxy Waterproofing is a waterproofing and sealing method that uses chemicals to create an impermeable membrane. The chemicals include an epoxide polymer and a hardener mixed in appropriate ratios to form a thick, protective, and non-corrosive liquid.
The process uses water-based epoxy and is ideal for applications that require waterproofing and additional protection over masonry or concrete surfaces. It makes an incredible solution for applications that require controlling dampness or applications where waterproofing could be a concern.
Undertaking an epoxy waterproofing process is similar to applying emulsion paint. However, it dries to leave a tough, waterproof, non-toxic, and easy-to-clean surface. Although the chemicals may often take longer to dry and cure, it is always worth the time, effort, and investment.
Epoxy for waterproofing is helpful in the following applications;
- Tank linings for protection against leaks and chemicals
- Swimming pools to prevent the loss of water
- Sealing coats for materials that contain asbestos
- Impermeable membranes on ground floors or basements to prevent rising damps
- An anti-lime treatment for new concrete
- Coating damp surfaces against paints
- Coating walls in food manufacturing and storage businesses such as dairies, breweries, restaurants, and grain silos
Tips to Ensure That You Achieve Perfect Water Proofing With Epoxy Coating
Like every other waterproofing method, epoxy waterproofing can also fail if not done correctly. It would help if you had experts to handle the entire process by first choosing the suitable epoxy for you. Besides, the following strategies will ensure that your surface is sleek and waterproof;
- Surfaces should be clean before epoxy application.
- Take note of the flexibility levels of the type of epoxy you use. All kinds of epoxy have varying flexibility levels and maximum limits.
- Resin thickness is critical if you want to achieve perfect waterproofing. Ensure that the thickness is sufficient. Of course, it would take a professional to determine the right epoxy thickness.
- Ensure that you know the curing time of the epoxy used, as this plays a vital role in your success. Immersion services require a curing time of up to 7 days at 75 degrees F.
- The substrate and epoxy resin may crack if the curing duration goes beyond the stipulated period.
Trust Revival Concrete Coatings for Your Epoxy Water Proofing Applications
Epoxy coatings will give you a beautiful, hard, chemical resist, and waterproof finish. But this will rely on the correct choice of epoxy resin, proper mixing, correct epoxy to hardener composition, and good curing. At Revival Concrete Coatings, we are your solution to all your epoxy coating needs in West Des Moines, Iowa, and neighborhoods. Our experts will get the job done as scheduled. Trust us to give your surfaces the waterproofing property they deserve at reasonable costs.